Friday, August 31, 2007
I sent out an email a few days ago, and decided to put it on this blog also:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey everyone,
I was made aware of the problem of plastic sippy cups and a chemical known as BPA by a recent CNN broadcast.
The chemical poses numerous health risks, by leaching from plastic into baby’s drinks, especially if the sippy cup is heated or if it is old and scratched up.
Manufacturers are not required at this point to let us in on what materials they use and whether they contain BPA on their packaging.
You can check for the recycling triangle underneath your cups. There should be a number in the middle of it. From what I have gathered, 2 and 5 are ok. 3(PVC), 6(polystyrene) and 7(polycarbonate) are to be avoided. A lot of cups do not have a number underneath… I have cleaned out my shelf. Anything other than 2s and 5s went into the trash, that included anything with no information on it. Instead I bought my kid a Sigg aluminum sippy and she likes it. It was kind of pricy but at least this way she won’t hit puberty at 6 years of age (I’m exaggerating).
Please work yourself through these few links, to find out more and feel free to share this email with anyone you think could find this information useful.
Inga
On this website is a lot of information on the chemical BPA:
http://www.bisphenolafree.org/
These two links are both accessible from the above site:
http://www.healthobservatory.org/library.cfm?refid=77083
http://www.checnet.org/healtheHouse/pdf/plasticchart.pdf
And here’s someone’s blog showing some alternatives to the regular cups (I’m skeptical about the plastic ones the person mentions. I have found conflicting information):
http://zrecs.blogspot.com/2007/05/sippy-cup-showdown-safer-bpa-free-sippy.html
1:32 PM |
1 comments


